Monday 28 November 2011

Goin' Out West

Our next adventure takes us out west to a beer oasis situated on the outskirts of one of Sydney's largest markets. Arriving at Flemington we were greeted immediately by the massive sprawl of the market. There were crates of fruit and vegetables being ferried around in all directions, it was like venturing into a labyrinth of food, spices and beautiful aromas. Dan and I navigated our way through the market until we found Paddy's Brewery and we needed to quench our thirst.




We entered the pub to a hive of activity, there was obviously a party going on. We were going to join in, but it seemed the average age of the party goers was 50 plus...telling old man jokes...we may be old, but we're not that old. Heading straight to the bar we noticed the open plan brewery next to the bistro, then there were the lingerie waitresses.....

The Paddy's beers on tap were the Pilsner, Pale Ale, Porter and Wheat Beer and the seasonal beer was a Dunkel. I was wondering why Dan wanted to shout first and then discovered that Schooners were $3.50, as there was a happy hour on (normally they are $4.40). However for regular happy hours (Mon-Fri 3pm-6pm) the beers are $3.

Here is a rundown on the beers and we also spoke to Paddy's Head Brewer, Sam Clayman (see interview below).




Pilsner

Karl: After the hot walk through the markets we had a real thirst up so we started with a Pilsner to quench a man sized thirst (can anyone hear the beer ads in the background?). Initially I would never have guessed this was a Pilsner, with a pale colour, soft floral aroma and slightly hoppy aftertaste this is a great summer beer weighing in at 4.5%. Did this quench your big thirst Dan?

Dan: It sure did, but for me this tasted more like a lager than a Pilsner, maybe the cloudiness threw me a little. However I really liked the crisp finish on the palate and I definitely would look forward to one of these at the end of a hard day's work.


Wheat Beer

Karl: After our chat with Sam we moved on to the Wheat Beer and I have to say we should have started with this one - I could drink this all day long. Served with a slice of lemon there was a really refreshing flavour to this. Your thoughts Dan?

Dan: Damn straight Karl, this for me was a good take on a German Kristallweizen and you don't see a lot of these types of beers on tap in Sydney. The lemon was a nice touch and again a great beer for summer - cleanses the palate quickly and not too heavy on the stomach. The alcohol content on this one is 4.7%.


Paddy's Pale Ale

Dan: As you know we have a standout beer every blog and this time it is the Paddy's Pale Ale. Beautiful malt flavours combined with a subtle bitterness makes this one a winner in my books and is easily one of the best American Pale Ales I have had on tap recently. If Paddy's sold Growlers I would have no hesitation in taking one of these home. What is your take on the Pale Ale Karl?

Karl: Well Dan I'm sure Sam would have filled a Growler for you if you brought one along. I have to agree this is an excellent beer and not too overpowering at 4.6%. Pale Ale seems to be the most popular beer at the moment and I too would put this one up there as one of the best we've drunk lately.





Dunkel

Dan: This is currently the seasonal beer on tap but that will change very shortly when Sam starts tapping his Ginger Beer. Even though it was a really hot day (we were drinking this one outside for some reason) the Dunkel still stood up. Sweet caramel textures were in abundance here but I couldn't have more than two of these in the one sitting (alcohol content is 4.7%).

Karl: I think Craig (our Ginger Beer fanatic) will be hanging out for the Ginger Beer to be tapped. The Dunkel is an interesting take on a German classic, with it's malty fragrance and a toffee finish I couldn't drink too many either. I really would like to try this again on a cold winter's day rather than on a scorcher.




Chocolate Porter 

Karl: Well Dan I thought this was a solid finisher. If you haven't worked it out yet we both love dark beers...okay so we like all beer but we really enjoy a good Porter. In my opinion this is one for all Porter lovers, with a smooth chocolate finish and a malty aroma, I had to have another one - even on a hot day this does not disappoint. So Dan are you up for another beer?

Dan: Of course I am. I'm no stranger to Porters and this was a perfect choice to end our session. The chocolate flavours reminded me of Young's Double Chocolate Stout and at 4.8% this Porter was right on the money for me. So if you are going to the bar Karl I'll have another one!


We also managed to have a quick chat with Sam, the Head Brewer at Paddy's and quizzed him about beer and brewing.

Ourshout: How long have you been interested in brewing?

Sam: I've been brewing since 2006. We did a couple of kit beers, moved on to mini mashes for a month or three, then onto the all grain and never looked back. I've been brewing for Paddy's for three months, barely enough to fill the five taps they've given me so far!

Ourshout: What do you think of the current craft brewing scene in Australia?

Sam: The Australian craft scene is really exciting at the moment. Having been in California for a major period of craft-brewing growth in the 90's and 00's, I can see awesome similarities in the grass roots, consumer-awareness based increase in interest in good brews. Australia is definitely on its way towards being a place where you walk out of a pub that does not offer a single craft beer on tap.

Ourshout: Where do you see the Australian craft scene in five years?

Sam: In five years, I would hope to see the demand for craft beers still ahead of production, which would pave the way for more microbrewers to get a start and stay in the business. I would also hope to see it being a united industry rather than a fractionalized one. There is always more to learn in terms of process or business, and I would like to see craft brewing continue to be treated that way by all involved on both the production and consumption side. In any case, I definitely see it being very strong for a long time coming.




Ourshout: What is your favourite style of beer to brew?

Sam: For me, a complex malty beer is the most fun to make. You have to understand all the malts you're using and what they'll offer to the beer as a group. Using upwards of four malts is the only way to go for Irish reds, porters, Scottish ales of all strengths, and even an English bitter can have a nicely complex backbone. German styles with that soft, bready mouthfeel are another favourite of mine to make. Additions like fruits, wood or spices also meld better with a malty beer, and that is something I've always liked to do with my beers. Hopping the hell out of something is fun too, but for me it can be a little bit one-dimensional.

Ourshout: Any new beers in the pipeline at Paddy's?

Sam: The Ginger Beer has already been brewed to round out the six summer taps. Three taps will be rotating through the year, and I'm thinking of doing a Scottish 60/- (around 5%), perhaps with some rum-soaked raisins for texture. A Californian Common and/or an English mild bitter will be available to keep a balance of malty and hoppy beers on tap. A Baltic Porter is probably the biggest thing I'll make for the winter, at around 6%, with some berries and oak to round it out.  It'll be made soon to give it a good few months to mellow out, so future trips out to the pub could be accompanied with a maturing cask sampler!

Ourshout: We will have to take you up on that offer. Thank you for your time Sam.





Walking back through Paddy's we noticed the buzzing sound of the TAB TVs, the humming of the ceiling fans and the classic 80's hits piping out of the video jukebox, it really reminded us of a typical country pub....like the ones we grew up drinking in. The main difference being truly great beer and Paddy's has this in spades.



See you at the bar.


Paddy's Brewery
268 Parramatta Road
Flemington




1 comment:

  1. Nice to find the quality goods in a unexepected place; definately a nice hide-away, worth popping in to. Nice work Sam!

    ReplyDelete