Thursday 19 April 2012

At Home He Feels Like a Tourist

If you were to walk into a pub and ask for a pint of "Old Admiral" or a "Nelson's Blood", I am sure the bartender would cock an eyebrow and probably think you are a bit mad. However at the Lord Nelson you would be rewarded with one of the finest beers you could find in Sydney at one of its oldest pubs.


The Lord Nelson is buried deep within the tourist hub of the Rocks and was established in 1841 by plasterer William Wells. The Rocks was a slum back in those times, frequented by all sorts of unsavoury types and the name came about from the abundance of sandstone found in that area. Most of the buildings in the Rocks were made from this sandstone (including the Lord Nelson) and have since been carefully restored.


So, for our next adventure Karl and I paid a visit to this historic part of Sydney to sample the wares of the Lord Nelson. Obviously we were here for the beer and the Lord Nelson has been making it's own since 1985, making it the oldest brewpub in Australia.



What other pub has a beer menu on the ceiling so you can still read it when you fall off your chair?

With a choice of seven local brews on tap (including a cider) this was going to be an enjoyable afternoon. Pints are $8.80 and halves are $4.70, and Coopers fans won't be disappointed either with both the Pale and Sparkling Ale on tap. There is also a cheeky tap of Paulaner thrown in the mix to appease German beer lovers.



Quayle Ale

Dan: I walked most of the way here so was in the mood for a refreshing and crisp ale. The Quayle Ale did the job admirably, with subtle citrus aromas and at 4.5% ABV this could be dangerously sessionable.I actually felt this was more of a lager than an ale. Karl, what do you think of the Quayle?

Karl: Dan I totally agree, this is more a lager than an ale and extremely sessionable. It was a hot day when we paid a visit to the Lord Nelson and the Quayle Ale definitely hit the spot. With a soft aroma this beer is very light on the palate, so endears itself to be drunk on a hot summer's day.


Trafalgar Pale Ale

Dan: This drop reminded me of an English Bitter (but stronger) and I noted a strong rustic flavour straight off the bat which I would put down to the malts used in the brewing process. Would you classify this one as a Bitter or a Pale Ale Karl?

Karl: Dan you know I am a massive English Bitter fan, so I have to say the Trafalgar reminds me more of an English Ale than an English Bitter. I would love to see this beer served warmer, then I think it would take on more of the characteristics of an English Bitter. With a strong malty aroma and aftertaste this beer has session written all over it.



3 Sheets Australian Pale Ale

Karl: This is definitely another summer beer, I would seriously struggle to drink this in winter. The 3 sheets was ranked number 69 in 'The Critics' Choice Australia's Best Beers' this year. The hoppiness and floral fragrance makes this the perfect summer beer. What do you think Dan, is this a good summer session beer?

Dan: In my opinion, this is the classic Lord Nelson beer. By that I mean, if you could only have one, go with the 3 sheets - citrus flavours followed up with a malty finish makes this a perfect year round ale and it is not surprising that this brew is available in six packs all over Sydney.


Victory Bitter


Karl: What's in a name, the Victory Bitter is actually a Pale Ale and not a Bitter. This beer is a great all year rounder, I could knock this back no matter what the day threw at me. The fruity aroma is accompanied with a soft hoppy aftertaste that keeps you wanting more. So Dan did this impress you as much as me?

Dan: Actually this beer did impress me. I think we were at least three beers in before we tried the Victory Bitter and it's subtle hoppiness really started to grow on me, so much so that I could have quite easily drank this for the rest of the afternoon! On the other hand I'm glad willpower won over in the end as the Old Admiral was up next.....



Old Admiral

Dan: In my opinion this is the beer connoisseur's choice and that is what I'm here for. A classic strong full bodied malty ale with subtle caramel undertones and just the right amount of hoppy bitterness makes this a perfect opener or finisher. Although at 6.1% ABV I'm going with the latter option, would you walk the plank for this one Karl?

Karl: Dan this was my first Lord Nelson beer many, many years ago and I have to say it's still my favourite - and yes I would walk the plank for this beer. The malt is the first thing that hits you and with the soft caramel aftertaste makes the Old Admiral a great beer for all occasions.


Nelson's Blood


Dan: As you probably know by now I am a fervent Porter fiend and the Nelson's Blood does not disappoint. A hefty, robust concoction with a strong roasted coffee flavour this is the perfect pint for a cold winters night in. Up there with some of the best Porters we have reviewed in my opinion.

Karl: Dan, the Nelson's Blood nearly makes me rethink the Old Admiral as my favourite Lord Nelson beer. With a slightly smokey fragrance this finishes well with strong malts and coffee, with a slight toffee sweetness makes you want to go back for more... and more.


Dan: Sitting back in my chair watching the sunlight shining through the windowpanes of the Lord Nelson as locals strolled home confirmed my belief that this is one damn fine pub. A Sydney icon, the Lord is a must visit for anyone who is interested in good beer and local history.

Until next time.





The Lord Nelson Brewery Hotel
19 Kent St
The Rocks
NSW 2000





No comments:

Post a Comment